Sunday, February 9, 2014

Oh the weather outside is frightful....

I really don't like snow, or winter in general for that matter.  The only thing that makes me a bit excited for winter is the fact that winter = Christmas.  After the holiday season I am done.  Bring on the heat!

I love to look at snow.  I think it is beautiful.  But I really do hate getting out in it.  I hate having to bundle the kids up to head anywhere.  As if getting two small humans out the door isn't hard enough, let's add hats, coats, boots, mittens, and blankets too.  Goober is in a phase where she has to do everything herself so it takes even longer because she has to put the hats, coats, boots, and mittens on herself.  Frog Face just doesn't want to cooperate in general.  Ever since we moved him out of his infant carrier and into a standard rear facing seat, he hates it.  This also means that I can't use those convenient little car seat covers that keep the baby warm.  I put him in a coat and try to cover him in a blanket, but the little bugger insists on poking his hands out, taking his socks off, and flailing and screaming about like a little banshee until he manages to stick every piece of exposed skin he can out in the sub-zero temperatures.  Then he bucks like a little bronco and arches his back so that it is very difficult to snap the buckles.

Then there is driving in the snow.  I am not a fan of driving in general and much prefer to be a passenger.  But since I am the one that usually takes the kids to daycare, I drive in the snow.  Now many places we have lived in the past do a wonderful job of clearing the roadways after a snow storm.  We lived in Ohio for two years while I worked on my Master's degree and they were excellent with snow removal (lake effect snow will do that to an area).  Even when I lived in Kansas City, Missouri they did a pretty good job.  But not here.  Oh no.  Here they always leave at least an inch of snow on the road surface.  And that's on the main roads.  Unless the snow is really bad they won't even plow the side roads.  We got three inches of snow last week so our street was not plowed.  They did put sand down this time so that is something.  But due to the fact that there is always snow on the roads, I have become quite good at driving in it.  Nothing like practice to make perfect I guess.

And once we finally get to our destination, be it daycare or church or the store, then Goober insists on walking very very very slowly since we have told her that she must be careful walking so she doesn't slip.  While I think we had the right idea to tell her to be careful, I wonder if we might have overdone things a bit when she was concerned about our neighbor kids who were running and playing in the snow and she said "they need to slow down.  They might slip."  as she creeped from the garage to the house.

I am also jealous of when the schools get snow days.  I am an educator as well, but even when schools are canceled I still go in to work.  Granted, I am pretty excited when programs are cancelled and I am able to get caught up on office work (which has been piling up because one of my two coworkers is on maternity leave) but when the Weatherman got to stay home with Goober and Frog Face, I was a bit envious.  I wanna play too!

But I don't really want to play in the snow.  I don't like the cold either.  When I was a kid, I liked sledding and building snowmen and making snow angels as much as the next kid.  It is harder for me to get into it now because it is just too cold for me.  Also, there are no hills to go sledding on where I live since everything is pretty darn flat.  So if Goober wants to play in the snow I usually make the Weatherman go out with her.  Over Christmas break though I did go sledding down our hill and street in KC like I used to as a kid.  That was fun.  But still too cold.



All in all, I am grateful that we didn't get more snow than we did.  My family in KC got upwards to 9-12 inches and were pretty much stuck in their houses for a while.  My dad is a professional driver an he had trouble navigating the streets.  If I am cooped up for too long, I get bad cabin fever and definite ants in my pants.  Lately this hasn't happened as often (probably has something to do with never having a free moment and not having the chance to get bored for some reason....) but I still feel the need to be out and about.

I am also incredibly grateful that we have a nice, safe, warm house to come home to everyday.  There are many people who don't have a warm place to come home to and a nice two car garage to park in so we don't have to warm up and scrape the car every day.  Many people don't even have a car!

Yes, there is much to be thankful for.

But I still don't like the snow.

Making snow ice cream


She slept in her princess tent last night.  I didn't care.  As long as she is sleeping and in her room, that's all that matters to me!

It's getting harder and harder to take these weekly pictures

Happy boy showing off his two teeth and his daddy's eyes

After attempting to update this blog for several days and being constantly thwarted by children, cats, chores, and work I finally got it finished!  Only to notice that I wrote about winter and cold and snow a few blog posts back.  Oh well.  This post was better.  And I just don't think I have the time to write a whole new one right now.  I promise a new topic for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment