Monday, September 23, 2013

Welcome home cats!

I am grateful that my job is usually weekdays from 8-5.  However, there are occasionally things that come up at the zoo that require me to work extra evenings and weekends.  It really sucks when those evenings and weekends all fall at the same time.  Like last week.

Monday night we had a friend visit who we have not seen in years and also picked up our new freezer.  Tuesday night we had a monthly volunteer meeting at the zoo so the Weatherman was home with the kids by himself.  Wednesday nights we have church like we do every week (the Weatherman and I work in the youth group while Goober attends AWANAS and Frog Face makes his way from one teen-age girl to another during youth group, being the ladies’ man that he is).  There was an event on Thursday which I skipped out on because the kids were over-tired from being up past bedtime the last three days.  However, I made up for skipping the event by working both Saturday and Sunday for two more events.  These events were all part of one big thing: a grand opening of a new exhibit at the zoo.

I started working at the zoo in February of 2008.  Even before I started working, the zoo was actively raising funds for a new exhibit for our jaguars, bobcats, and our mountain lion.  The old exhibit was outdated and small and a new home was desperately needed.  But like many things, it is impossible to just click our heels together and wish for a modern facility to spring up overnight.  Over the last 5 years, our partner non-profit organization, the Friends of the Zoo, have been hosting special events, seeking grants, and receiving donations all for the express purpose of our cats.  Enough funds were finally acquired in 2012 and we broke ground on our new exhibit last fall.  Now here we are, a year later, with a million dollar exhibit that is beautiful and modern and a stunning new addition to our zoo. 

But with something so grand that we have worked years for, we can’t merely open the doors and casually allow people to wander through.  Oh no.  It needs some pizzazz!  It needs a ribbon cutting!  It needs some pomp and circumstance and an official grand opening. Or two. Or three.

Thursday night was the sneak peek for dignitaries and major donors.  These honored guests were treated to an evening of private tours of the exhibit along with appetizers and beverages.  Saturday morning we opened the exhibit to members of the zoo and media, also giving behind the scene glimpses into the animal exhibits and barns.  Then Sunday was our official grand opening to the public, with face painting, cookies, and lots of volunteers to engage the public and answer questions about the cats.

As the Manager of Special Event for the zoo, I was in charge of organizing the volunteers for all three of the openings and also helping during the events.  As an educator who is trained to engage the public, I was also out front (or on Saturday behind the scene at the bobcat barn) interpreting the exhibits for the guests and answering questions.  For the public grand opening we had over 1,500 people attend!

As much as I love being a part of the zoo and helping out, it is always hard to be away from my family, especially since I am away from them so much on a normal week anyways.  Goober has come to associate my work shirt with me leaving and when she sees me put it on, the waterworks start to flow.  It was hard to leave a crying Goober on Saturday to come to work.  I think it was even harder for me when she saw me put my work shirt on again Sunday and said “I no cry mommy” without me even saying I was leaving again.  Then Sunday night there was a going away party for some zoo volunteers that I attended for an hour and Goober again put on a brave face.  It was hard though when I got home just in time to tuck her in and hear her say “You come back mommy!” At which point my heart breaks and I reassure her that I may have to work sometimes, but I always come back. 

Meanwhile Frog Face does well at first but as soon as he figures out that momma is gone, he goes into hysterics and screams like a little banshee, refuses to nap, and ends up regurgitating most of his bottle on himself and on daddy. 

With that being said, my favorite part of the day yesterday was snuggling with Goober in bed and when I took Frog Face back from the Weatherman and he immediately looked into my eyes, snuggled in, and promptly went to sleep.

Being a working mom often has my heart torn.  In an ideal world, I would be able to work afternoons (while the kids nap) and then be with the kids in the morning.  I love my career, but it is often hard, especially with weeks like last week, to be there for my children and be professional at my job as well.  I realize I am very fortunate to work at a facility that supports families and allows me flexibility to take off work for doctors, dentists, etc., but there still doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to do everything that needs to be done and give my children the time that they need. 


But then, all moms I believe feel that way. 

Look at the crowd! (I should mention that I think all the photos were taken by the zoo director's husband, so he gets the credit!)

A small visitor getting up close to our Jaguars

One of our amazing volunteers sharing a jaguar pelt with the public while they wait in line to see the new exhibit

Me holding the microphone while the director of the Friends of the Zoo gives a speech.  The microphone kept having feedback issues and it took a while before someone from the crowd shouted that it was my radio that was interfering with it.  As soon as I turned the radio off, the feedback stopped.  So much for me being helpful!  I feel like I actually caused more issues than help!  But it was good for comic relief!

Ribbon cutting for the new exhibit!

1 comment:

  1. We are planning on visiting the cat canyon on Friday, so excited about the new exhibit.

    ReplyDelete